- Napa cabbage
- Roasted white or black sesame seeds
- Chinese Laundry Dan Dan Sauce - 1.5 tbsp or to your liking
- Horseradish 1 tsp (optional)
Beijing, my hometown, has been going through a sort of culinary renaissance in the last couple of years, where its regional cuisine is coming into the spotlight again after decades of being the underdog to the Sichuanese and Cantonese restaurants in the city. One of the dishes that everyone orders at a Beijingese restaurant is Emperor’s Cabbage. Made with napa cabbage leaves, this dish is normally dressed in a sweet and savory sesame dressing. Our spin on this dish features none other than the Chinese Laundry Dan Dan Sauce, adding both ma (tingly Sichuan peppercorn taste) and la (spiciness) to this simple yet scrumptious dish.
- After cleaning the cabbage leaves, slice them halfway down.
- In a big bowl, simply mix in the Chinese Laundry Dan Dan Sauce, toss until each leaf is well coated with the sauce. You can also add in the horseradish along with the Dan Dan Sauce.
- After plating the cabbage leaves, sprinkle sesame seeds on top.
Check out our Instagram video below for this recipe: