Simple but So Delicious! This is a typical Chinese appetizer to accompany a cold beer. Enjoy!
- 1 Japanese cucumber or 3 Persian / pickling cucumbers
- Garlic - minced
- Chinese Laundry Dan Dan Sauce - 1.5 tbsp or to your liking
- Cleaver or a knife with a wide blade
So we are going to share with you an unconventional way to cut your cucumbers. It’s unconventional by the Western standard, but it’s widely practiced in China. What you will need is a cleaver. If you don’t have a cleaver, find the kitchen knife with the widest blade instead. Not only is this a quick method for chopping cucumbers, it also gives the cuts more texture to carry sauces and seasoning.
- You’re going to smash the cucumbers with the face of the cleaver / knife until the cucumbers have broken apart lengthwise into at least 3 pieces. If you’re using a western kitchen knife, you can hold the knife with its face on the cucumber, and then use your fist to impact the face of the knife facing up.
- Chop the broken cucumbers into ½ inch to 1 inch long pieces. You can find an instruction video below.
- Once cucumbers are all chopped up, simply throw in the minced garlic and Chinese Laundry Dan Dan Sauce, toss until everything is well coated with sauce, and it’s ready to serve.
Check out our Instagram video below for this recipe: